Welcome to a brief newsletter, whose main purpose is to announce that tickets for the 2019/20 Coffee Concert series are now available from the Brighton Dome box office in person. Online booking is not available today but it’s promised for tomorrow (22 August) at https://brightondome.org .
Ticket prices are unchanged at £18.50 (concessions £16). A season ticket for all six concerts is £99 (concessions £84). A half-season ticket (for the three concerts in 2019 or the three in 2020) is £49.50 (concessions £42). Tickets for those aged 8 to 25 are free under the Cavatina scheme but can only be obtained, with proof of age, at the Brighton Dome box office in person in advance, or at ACCA on the morning of the concert.
All concerts will be held at the Attenborough Centre for the Creative Arts (ACCA) at the University of Sussex.
The concerts are as follows:
20 October 2019 Mithras Trio
- Mozart Piano Trio in C major K548
- Fauré Piano Trio in D minor Op 120
- Helen Grime ‘Three Whistler Miniatures’
- Beethoven Piano Trio in D major Op 70 No 1 ‘The Ghost’
17 November 2019 Endymion Horn Trio
- Brahms Horn Trio in E flat major Op 40
- Beethoven Violin Sonata No 5 in F major Op 24
- Beethoven Horn Sonata in F major Op 17
8 December 2019 Maxwell Quartet
- Haydn String Quartet Op 74 No 1
- Roukens ‘Visions at Sea’
- Scottish Folk Music
- Schubert String Quartet in D minor ‘Death and the Maiden’
26 January 2020 Heath Quartet
- Beethoven String Quartet Op 18 No 3
- Brahms String Quartet Op 51 No 2
- Beethoven String Quartet Op 59 ‘Razumovsky’ No 3
23 February 2020 Castalian Quartet
- Schumann String Quartet in F major Op 41 No 2
- Janacek String Quartet No 1 in E minor ‘Kreutzer Sonata’
- Brahms String Quartet No 3 in B flat major Op 67
This concert is sponsored by Stephen Neiman in memory of Caroline Brown (1953-2018), founder of the Hanover Band.
22 March 2020 Aronowitz Ensemble
Tom Poster – piano, Magnus Johnston and Marije Johnston – violins,
Tom Hankey – viola, Pierre Doumenge – cello
- Schubert String Trio in B flat major D471
- Beethoven Piano Trio in C minor Op 1 No 3
- Elgar Piano Quintet in A minor Op 84
A final point:
Now is the time to renew your membership of Strings Attached for the period 1 August 2019 to 31 July 2020, unless you have already done so or you have only recently joined. Membership renewal forms can be downloaded from https://www.stringsattachedmusic.org.uk/friends . Payment can be made by bank transfer or by cheque, but the form still needs to be sent by post. For Gift Aid reasons please complete one form per person. Paid-up members will receive a membership card which, to save postage, we plan to distribute initially at the October concert, and which can be used to obtain a free glass of sherry or fruit juice during coffee concert intervals.
We very much hope you will choose to renew your membership and support our work – and encourage like-minded people to join us too.