Welcome to our twenty-ninth newsletter – designed to keep you informed about our activities, as well as other local chamber music events.
THIS IS URGENT.
On 14 May you were sent an email asking your permission to continue sending you our newsletter and any other necessary communication, as required by new legislation which comes into force on 25 May. Some of you have also been sent a reminder email. If you have replied please ignore what follows.
Some 50 people who are currently receiving our newsletters have not responded. If you are one of these we will not be able, under the new General Data Protection Legislation, to email you, or send you newsletters, even if you are a paid-up member of Strings Attached. To remain in contact, email firstname.lastname@example.org saying “Please keep sending me emails from Strings Attached”.
2017/18 COFFEE CONCERT SEASON HAS ENDED
The last concert, by Quatuor Arod, attracted more comment than any other in the season. The comments were always about the energy of their playing, and the freshness of their interpretation. See reviews on www.stringsattached music.org.uk .
FEEDBACK ON THE 2017/18 SERIES
As you will recall, we no longer undertake an annual survey of members’ views because your views were becoming more and more predictable. We did, however, promise to let you have your say on the 2017/18 season. If you wish to take advantage of this and let us know how you have felt about the music, musicians, concert arrangements, ticketing or anything else related to Strings Attached, drop a line to email@example.com . We will collate what you tell us and publish the results in a future newsletter. We will also, of course, if appropriate, pass on your views to our colleagues at Brighton Dome and Brighton Festival.
2018/19 COFFEE CONCERT SEASON
The Sunday morning coffee concerts will resume in October, all starting at 11.00 am. They will again be held at The Attenborough Centre for the Creative Arts (formerly the Gardner Centre) at the University of Sussex at Falmer. The Corn Exchange is not quite ready for us. Tickets are not yet available. Keep an eye on the Brighton Dome box office from mid June onwards. Details are as follows:
21 Oct 2018 Marmen Quartet
- Haydn String Quartet Op. 74 No.1
- Janacek String Quartet No.1
- Beethoven String Quartet Op.127
18 November 2018 Jacquin Trio (clarinet, viola/violin and piano)
- works by Schumann, Charlotte Bray, Colin Matthews, Mozart, Stravinsky and Bartok
9 December 2018 Philip Higham
- works for solo cello
27 January 2019 Doric String Quartet
- Haydn String Quartet Op.33 No.4
- Bartok String Quartet No.5,
- Mendelssohn String Quartet Op.44 No.2
24 February 2019 Castalian Quartet with Daniel Lebhardt (piano)
- Haydn String Quartet Op.76 No.2
- another work to be announced
- Brahms Piano Quintet
24 March 2019 Aquinas Trio
- Haydn Piano Trio in E major XV:28
- Mendelssohn Piano Trio No.1 Op.49
- Schumann Piano Trio No.2 Op.80
OTHER CHAMBER MUSIC EVENTS
Summer is full of classical music festivals.
- Brighton Festival continues until 27 May and Brighton Fringe until 2 June.
- The Lewes Chamber Music Festival 14 – 16 June. Booking is open at https://www.leweschambermusicfestival.com . It really is as thrilling and as friendly as a music festival can be.
- The Peasmarsh Festival 21 – 24 June . Directed, as ever, by Anthony Marwood and Richard Lester, players will include the Navarra String Quartet. Booking is open at https://peasmarshfestival.co.uk .
- The Lewes Festival of Song 6 – 8 July see https://www.lewesfestivalofsong.co.uk .
- The South Downs Summer Music International Festival 24 – 29 July,based in Alfriston, see http://www.southdownssummermusic.co.uk .
- The Brighton Early Music Festival (BREMF) starts on 26 October and runs until 11 November. Details are available at https://www.bremf.org.uk . Tickets are not yet on sale but a provisional programme has been announced.
Finally, don’t forget to check the Strings Attached chamber music calendar. It lists other chamber music concerts in Sussex, featuring both professional and amateur performers, and can be found at https://www.stringsattachedmusic.org.uk/calendar/ .
You will see that lunchtime concerts at various churches in Brighton, Hove and Lewes continue through the summer. Local music societies in Lewes, Seaford, Eastbourne and Steyning are also listed. Especially interesting, The Nicholas Yonge Society, Lewes begins its season on 19 October with the Shaham Erez Wallfisch Trio.